The New York State Arborists,
International Society of Arboriculture Chapter, Inc.
is an association of professional arborists and educators that promotes public interest, fosters research and education in the care and benefits of trees, shrubs and their environment. Membership affords an opportunity to associate and exchange valuable information with other arborists and professionals who are interested in the care, maintenance and conservation of woody ornamentals.
Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) is Back in Oyster Bay and Rochester!
Join NYSA for another round of TRAQ courses in November. Our TRAQ course in June sold out fast. So, register now for the ISA Tree Risk Assessment Course. Click here for qualification information and a registration form.
Dates & Locations
♦ November 17-19, Planting Fields Arboretum, Oyster Bay (Registration deadline, Oct. 17, 2014)
♦ November 20-22, Hilton Garden Inn Pittsford/Rochester (Registration deadline, Oct. 20, 2014)
Seating is limited to 40 people per location. Registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
♦ ISA member: $625.00 USD
♦ Non-member: $750.00 USD
Member pricing is an exclusive benefit to NYSA/ISA members only. You must be a current NYSA/ISA member at the time of registration. All others will be charged non-member registration rates.
2014 Fall Conference
See You in Liverpool. On-site Registration opens Sunday.
Thank You Sponsors
♦ Agrium Direct Solutions
♦ Greenleaf Supply
> Agrium Direct Solutions
> Bandit Industries
> Davey Resource Group
> Greenleaf Supply
> John Deere Landscapes
> National Grid
> North American Training Solutions
> Rainbow Treecare Scientific Advancements
>Tracked Lifts Inc.
2014 NYS Tree Climbing Championship Wrap-up
Under a brilliant blue sky and in perfect weather conditions, 20 climbers participated in the New York State Tree Climbing Championship at Planting Fields Historic State Park in Oyster Bay. The competition consisted of five challenging events-the Work Climb, Aerial Rescue, Throwline, Belayed Speed Climb and the Secured Footlock.
Congratulations to Lawrence Schultz of Central Park Conservancy in Brooklyn, NY as the 2014 Masters Challenge. He will represent New York State in the International Tree Climbing Championship, August 1-2 in Milwaukee, WI.
Congratulations to all of our climbers for competing in the 20th Annual NYS Tree Climbing Championships:
Special Thanks to Our Tree Climbing Competition Sponsors!
• Almstead Tree and Shrub Care Co., LLC
• ArborMaster® and their affiliated partners: Husqvarna, Buckingham Mfg, Oregon®, Samson, Silky, and Vermeer (TCC Climbing Kit Prize Package)
• Bandit Industries Inc.
• Bartlett Tree Expert Co.
• Bill Miller & Assoc., Inc.
• Birchcrest Tree and Landscape, Inc.
• Davey Tree
• Fanno Saw
• Long Island Aboricultural Association, Inc.
• Teufelberger Fiber Rope Corp.
• The Care of Trees, Inc.
Gold Leaf Sponsors
• Agrium Advanced Technologies, Inc.
• Sunburst Tree Experts, Inc.
NYSA is grateful to all of the Committee Members, Judges, Techs and Volunteers who contributed to make this year’s competition another fun and exciting success. Thank You!
Invasive Pest Tips
- Don't Move Firewood Poster.pdf
- Don't Move Firewood Factsheet pdf
- Alien Invaders are Hiding in Your Firewood Article pdf
Here's how to help STOP THE SPREAD of insect pests:
- Leave firewood at home–do not transport it to campgrounds or parks.
- Use only firewood from local sources. "Local" means from less than 50 miles. Firewood is commonly available at or near most campgrounds. It's a small price to pay to savethe trees in your favorite campground.
- If you have moved firewood, burn ALL of it before leaving your campsite. Do not carry firewood from one campground to another.