The New York State Arborists,
International Society of Arboriculture Chapter, Inc.
is an association of professional arborists and educators that promotes public interest, fosters research and education in the care and benefits of trees, shrubs and their environment. Membership affords an opportunity to associate and exchange valuable information with other arborists and professionals who are interested in the care, maintenance and conservation of woody ornamentals.
2013 New York State Tree Climbing Championship Wrap-up
2013 Tree Climbing Championship is in the Books!
The wet conditions that pushed the competition one day later to Sunday, June 9th didn't dampen the enthusiasm and skills of the climbers, volunteers, techs and judges for the tree climbing competition at the historic Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, NY.
NYSA hosted 15 contestants from across New York State and the northeast as they demonstrated their tree climbing skills and competed for the title of New York State Tree Climbing Champion. Climbers competed in 5 events – the Work Climb, Arial Rescue, Throwline, Belayed Speed Climb and Secured Footlock and were judged on their skill, speed and precision. Photos to come! The 2013 overall score results will be posted soon.
The 2013 Masters Challenge winner was Brian Krawczyk of Birchcrest Tree and Landscape, Inc. in Webster, NY. He will be representing New York State in the International Tree Climbing Championship, August 3-4 in Toronto, Ontario. Congratulations Brian!
NYSA is grateful to all of the Committee Members, Judges, Techs and Volunteers who juggled their schedules because of the weather to make this year’s competition another fun and exciting success. Thank You!
Special Thanks to Our Tree Climbing Competition Sponsors!
Thank you to all of our sponsors, with their support the Association was able to host another successful event and provide great prizes to all of our winners.
• Almstead Tree and Shrub Care Co., LLC
• ArborMaster® and their affiliated partners: Husqvarna, Buckingham Mfg, Samson, Silky, and Oregon® (TCC Climbing Kit Prize Package)
• Bandit Industries Inc.
• Bill Miller & Assoc., Inc.
• Birchcrest Tree and Landscape, Inc.
• Davey Tree
• FA Bartlett Tree Expert Co.
• Fanno Saw
• Long Island Aboricultural Association, Inc.
• NE STIHL
• The Care of Trees, Inc.
Gold Leaf Sponsors
• ESSCO Distributors, Inc.
• ESSCO Service Co., Inc.
• NE Ropes
• Professional Tree Surgeons Supplies, Inc.
• Sunburst Tree Experts, Inc.
• Growth Tech, Inc.
Invasive Pest Tips
- Don't Move Firewood Poster.pdf
- Don't Move Firewood Factsheet pdf
- Alien Invaders are Hiding in Your Firewood Article pdf
Here's how to help STOP THE SPREAD of insect pests:
- Leave firewood at home–do not transport it to campgrounds or parks.
- Use only firewood from local sources. "Local" means from less than 50 miles. Firewood is commonly available at or near most campgrounds. It's a small price to pay to savethe trees in your favorite campground.
- If you have moved firewood, burn ALL of it before leaving your campsite. Do not carry firewood from one campground to another.
Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine Information
August 2011 - Orange County has been added to the DEC eastern New York quarantine area (Ulster and Greene Counties). Read this Emergency Quarantine Order. This amended Order includes updated rules and regulations consistent with the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets quarantine.